1. Blue Peter first aired on 16 October 1958 and transmitted for 15 minutes.
2. The first presenters were Christopher Trace and Leila Williams. Christopher Trace was the stand-in for Charlton Heston in blockbuster Ben-Hur and Leila Williams had been crowned Miss Great Britain the previous year.
3. Blue Peter was created by John Hunter Blair. Throughout the programme’s 50-year history, there have been just six editors: Biddy Baxter, Lewis Bronze, Oliver Macfarlane, Steve Hocking, Richard Marson and the current editor Tim Levell.
4. The 50th anniversary edition of the show on 16 October will be programme number 4,406.
Ships and Songs
5. Blue Peter is named after the blue and white flag hoisted when a ship is ready to set sail from port. The reasoning for the choice is that the programme is intended to be a voyage of adventure and discovery for the viewers, constantly covering new topics.
6. The ship’s symbol, the Blue Peter Galleon, was designed by much-loved TV artist Tony Hart, who received just £100 for his work – which is worth an estimated £1,537 in today’s money. Had he been paid royalties they would have made him a millionaire.
7. The theme tune is called Barnacle Bill. There have been nine versions of the theme tune, and the latest arrangement was introduced for this year’s series.
8. There have been 34 Blue Peter presenters, including this year’s new recruits, Helen Skelton and Joel Defries.
9. The longest-serving presenter was John Noakes, who presented the series for 12 and a half years and was 45 when he left. On one famous occasion, John was asked to drop his trousers for the show to show the bruises he had sustained during a bobsleigh film. According to his recollection, he realised that he was wearing his wife’s underwear which he had put on by accident in the dark! On 17 May 1976, John Noakes collapsed in the studio due to exhaustion and Lesley Judd had to take over.
10. John Noakes’s famous catchphrase was “Get Down Shep”. In 1978, pop group The Barron Knights released a single of the same name which reached No. 44 in the charts.
Blue peter competition!
ITS A REALLY GOOD OPPUTINITY I WOULD DO IT!
Here is a video to show you!
WATCH TO SEE